Sunday, January 8, 2012

8/366: bye-bye dear friend.


Today was the day we said "See you later" to our dear neighbours. Not goodbye, as we will see them again. But it is the end of an era. Mr & Mrs P moved in only a couple of months after us and after the initial shyness on both parts, over time we have became firm friends.

Mrs P helped us adopt our kittens (the fur babies) and Mr P is the resident "techie". Both have always been on call when we had a question about anything. For that we are so grateful.

When Mrs P announced she was pregnant we were over the moon! We shared in their pregnancy and they excitedly bought over their scan photos and updates to share with us. We poured over baby name books in the hope of finding that perfect name. (we did) We were thrilled when Miss A joined their family. We have revelled in all her milestones and we have loved watching her grow into the beautiful little girl that she has become. 

A few months later, we announced our pregnancy and  they were just as thrilled for us. When J arrived they had put blue balloons on our fence so all the other neighbours knew a little boy had arrived on the street. Mrs P and I have spent so much time laughing, crying and supporting each other through this tough gig that is motherhood and I have loved every single moment of our friendship. We have leant each other cups of sugar, eggs, clothes, toys, and everything in between. We do supermarket runs for each other or easily pop over to watch the others child to help out. Our kids play together pretty well for small children that are a year apart. At this age that is a pretty massive developmental gap but still J idolises Miss A and follows her around seeing what she is up to.

I will miss seeing their daily happenings across the road and seeing all their extended family and friends as regularly too. I am devastated that I will not just be "across the road" when their #2 arrives in a couple of months as I will not be able to be the extra of pair of hands during the tough days. That this darling little boy won't know me the way that his big sister got to.

Still one of my favourite things in the world is this little angel wrapping her arms around my neck, stroking my hair and saying "I love you too, Mel" even though I didn't say it first. (She is totally right - I adore her)

So this picture is my little bit of joy in a dark day.....

3 comments:

  1. awww - my heart goes out to you all. it's never easy even saying 'see you later' xx hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what gorgeous neighbours you were to each other. That balloon annoucement was just the sweetest!
    And that adorable photo you captured sums it all up. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a lovely story, sounds like a fantastic friendship that I am sure will last the distance :)

    ReplyDelete